If you are using Moodle Assignment and Moodle gradebook to provide student feedback etc, there may be occasions where a grade drop down option becomes unavailable for a particular group of students etc and some assignment column cells appear brown.
This is because grades have been overridden and the cell frozen after a user clicks Update at the bottom of the gradebook page after making entries.
- Log into Moodle
- Go to your course
- Scroll to course admin settings > click Grades
- If using groups – select group to view
- If a number of the cells under the various assignment columns are brown > click Turn editing on (while still in gradebook)
- Click on the little editing hand and pen icon next to a student’s brown grade cell -(can only do one student at a time)
- Edit grade page appears > uncheck Overridden box – scroll down and click Save changes
- If an assignment is linked to may users or groups it will take awhile for the page to update and will most likely time out – this is not a problem as the setting will be saved.
- Do NOT use the browser back button but open the course in a new window (paste the course URL into the new window) – go to grades and repeat the fix steps above for each instance
When completed fix steps stay in gradebook view
- Do NOT click on Update at bottom of the page (if do then override and block it all again)
- Turn editing off
- Click on an assignment and enter grades as usual from the drop down menu